7 Reasons to Learn Krav Maga
Krav Ma-what? Krav Maga. If you’re really into action movies, you may have heard of Krav Maga before. Krav Maga is a self-defense system that was developed for the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) in the 1940s by a man named Imi Lichtenfeld. The IDF continues to use and develop this system today. The main idea behind Krav Maga is to inflict the maximum amount of damage to your opponent to quickly end a fight. You learn that your body is a weapon that can defend against anything, even guns and knives. My roommate and I have started taking classes from a local instructor, and have been loving it, so here are some reasons why you should learn Krav Maga too!
- The training is realistic. We have knives and guns (not real, but very realistic looking) that we train with. You practice how to escape having a gun pointed at your, or having a knife at your throat. The instructors and students yell and swear at each other, since that will most likely be happening in an actual attack. The class practices and works on situations you are likely to encounter in real life – bar fights, muggings, sexual assault, and others. The class is fast-paced and changes scenarios quickly. There’s no sitting around, waiting to get into position because that just wouldn’t happen in real life.
- The training is effective. I mean, if the Israeli Defense Forces (fyi: this is the name for their army) has been using it for over 50 years, it must work. And they’re not the only ones who use it. Many police and military forces from all over the world train in Krav Maga. The training teaches you to be quick and effective and to get away without getting hurt, which is exactly what you want from a self-defense class.
- Krav Maga is for everyone and anyone. Whether you are 6’3″ and weight 325lbs or 5’1″ and weigh 102lbs, you can learn Krav Maga. The techniques in Krav Maga are based off of your body’s natural instincts, which makes it pretty easy to learn. Krav Maga is also all about taking advantage of a body’s weak points to bring your opponent down, whether they are bigger or smaller than you.
- It’s a great workout. Throwing punches and kicks for several minutes gets exhausting quickly. Especially when you’re putting your whole body into it. Krav Maga is not only a very effective method of self-defense, it’s a great way to get in shape.
- You might make some new friends. Meeting new people is super hard once you graduate school. Especially if you’re self-employed like I am since you don’t even have anyone at work to meet and befriend. But going to Krav Maga class a few times a week will introduce you to new people who you already have a hobby in common with. So go out and make some new friends!
- Major stress relief. All exercise is great for stress relief. But something that is both exercise and let’s you punch and kick (and elbow and knee and flick and pinch…) is doubly stress relieving, especially after a hard day at work surrounded by idiots.
- HUGE self-confidence boost. Even after just the first class, you’re going to leave feeling like a badass. And you know what? You are! Not everyone can take down someone bigger than them quickly and effectively, but with Krav Maga, you learn to do just that. You learn that you are capable of doing things you never even imagined you could. So not only do you feel more confident about life personal-safetywise, you feel more confident about all aspects of your life.
Have any of you ever take a Krav Maga or other self-defense class? Let us know in the comments!